Monday, August 28, 2006

Been looking for this for years.

Back in the mid-90s, before the Blair Witch, I saw a report on Encounters about a video that supposedly had been found in an abandoned home. Basically, the video supposedly captured the final hours before the disappearance of a family celebrating Thanksgiving. The hitch: the video showed that they were attacked by Greys. Here's the video:



Part of me wants to believe in this thing. I mean, for a throw-away short film, a lot of money was spent on the UFO. I mean, it seems big enough to actually fit someone in it, plus there's the shots with the aliens standing near it, and that sort of thing isn't cheap. Granted, I haven't seen the footage in years beyond the crappy quality of YouTube, and it could have been a forced perspective trick. That said, it looks too good for such a low budget.

I am still incredibly skeptical, as I can't even decide whether or not the family members actually look like each other. Part of me says no, but the still at the end show that there seems to be some familial resemblance.

Needless to say, the video is remarkably well done, and it does create enough reasonable doubt for it to be quite effective. (Update: I just realized that this wasn't the footage that appeared on Encounters. It's the reinactment that was aired as part of the TV special.)

Also, as an aside, you can watch the TV special/reinactment that appeared on the UPN years later.

For a futher bonus, here's the Alien Abduction episode of Penn & Teller's Bullshit!.

Update, nearly 12 hours later: Here's the true story of the 'tape'. It turns out that the FX team who worked on The X-Files did the ship, which was done when they remade the short into the UPN movie.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home