Sunday, May 21, 2006

Mixed feelings

Ever come across one of those things that you can't get your head around?

Not because it's strange, or insane, or alien.

You can't get your head around it because it the very concept of it conflicts with core beliefs in a way that's totally unexpected. So, without further ado, I present Lazy Ramadi.




I don't know whether to laugh along with these guys who've kept their sense of humour about things, cry because there's a good chance that one (or both) of them probably won't be coming home, or be outraged at how lightly they're taking the situation.

I really don't know.

On one level, I feel for these guys. They're stuck thousands of miles from home, throwing themselves in harms way for a government that really couldn't give two tugs about them, but need to save face for destabilizing the country in the first place. They need a release like this in order to just keep on keeping on because each day may be the last one they spend on this planet.

On another level, I feel like they've taken things too lightly, and they spout grunt jingoisms a little too comfortably with what seems to be little irony. I mean, what would the Iraqi people think about these guys who are basically trespassers in their country? Would they find this amusing? (Granted, it could've been a hell of a lot worse, and it shows that these guys are generally good folks.)

I don't really know what to think at all here, and I can't form a solid opinion either way. While I don't support the war, I do support the folks who have been sent there. They're just doing their jobs, and while there's been some atrocities, most of the folks are generally good, well-meaning people who are stuck in a situation beyond their control... even if they are well-armed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home