Friday, June 01, 2007

Media rundown and other stuff

Heh, it's been over a month since I did one of these.

Watching: On DVD it's been Blazing Saddles, Starship Troopers, Slither, Tomb Raider, Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Life, The Da Vinci Code, Cutie Honey, The Tiger Blade, The Killer, Hardboiled, Bullet in the Head, and Curse of the Golden Flower. On TV it was the season finales of Smallville, Supernatural, Heroes, and Jericho (R.I.P.) plus the final episodes of Stargate SG-1.
Listening (to): Random MP3s that seem to prefer playing Ben Folds.
Reading: Back to reading The Tomb by F. Paul Wilson, and sundry websites. (Including a lot of boingboing, plus visiting Denis McGrath's and Will Dixon's blogs.)
Playing: The Getaway, Samurai Legend Musashi, Tron 2.0 and Star Wars Bounty Hunter.

So, I've been unemployed for roughly three days now, and well, I feel the stress and anxiety leaving me. That's not to say that I'm stress and anxiety free, but I'm not shaking or feeling sick anymore. Until Monday, I'm playing unemployed slacker bum, but it's game on starting then. I've got some leads, with one particularly good one, and I feel that this will only be temporary. Part of me wants to go back to the comfortable setting of Future Shop, but I really don't want to go backwards. Also, judging by the amount of coughing I've been doing during these smog days, I don't think that outdoor work is going to be a good idea. (Then again, I could just have a stress related bug.)

With all that said, I really want to do more with my life. The thought of going back to school is up there, with anthropology at Mac being the most likely path. That said, the idea of graduating past 40 is vaguely unsettling. As for work, I'd really love to work for a charity, but since I can't afford to volunteer for the foreseeable future, that's a bit of a pipe-dream. Plus, I don't think I've got much in the way of bankable skills in that department. (Mind you, if they want a literate, and mostly snarky, blogger to work for them, I'd be pleased to offer my services.)

I keep putting off my screenplay, and I really should go pick up a new notebook to devote to it. (I should also see if my old draft is still kicking around, as I need to remember who the characters were before I can redefine who they are.) Hearing about Dave's play being produced for this year's Toronto Fringe Fest is rubbing sticks under my ass to get something done. Who knows, if it's a success, I might just see if he wants to turn it into a film and having my own work to show would be beneficial to me. (I'm still a little cross at Brett and Nate for letting the horror movie die. That would've been a fun excercise, and would have looked good on a demo reel.)

As you can see, I'm not exactly at a loss for ideas, nor do I seem particularly depressed over the situation that's transpired over this past week. Truth be told, I am incredibly disappointed and borderline devastated by it, but I have to pick things up and go. As the great Criswell said:
Greetings, my friend. We are all interested in the future, for that is where you and I are going to spend the rest of our lives. And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.
And we all know that Criswell was always right.

Right?

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home