Wednesday, May 30, 2007

How things change

If you remember a couple of posts I made over the past month or so, most notable these two (1 and 2), I had a lot of optimism about my new job.

That's gone now.

I'm not sure if I've been suckered, or not, but the new job just wasn't what it should've been. Basically, I'm at a point where I have no choice but to quit. I'm against a wall, and (to really mix the metaphor) I have no net to jump in. It should have been a good match for me, but apparently my strengths that made me valuable weren't acceptable. (And, no, that doesn't make sense to me either.)

I'd been made to feel very, very unwelcome through what feels a lot like a passive aggressive attempt to drive me away. I knew I wasn't really wanted there in the first place, that it was an imposition on the staff, but I never expected it would turn to crap at the drop of a hat. Constantly hearing about how they wanted someone else (namely, my sister) and how the whole situation, meaning my hiring, was the store being set-up to fail really takes a toll on you after a while.

I also quickly got tired of working under a person with a "I'm right, you're wrong, and I don't care" attitude, who's full of negativity, and doubly tired of being trained by such a person. (Also, I learned quickly that I really hadn't been trained well at all.) In two weeks, I'd already recieved a reprimand. Which by itself is at least possible, but I wasn't given a chance to even defend myself, let alone know exactly what happened. I was supposedly rude and condescending towards two separate customers, but beyond that, I have no idea what happened. The implied "do it again, and you're fired" was just icing on the cake.

In all honesty, I should've known better. This is the company that's been giving my sister the short end of the stick for years now, and that should've been enough to keep me away. That said, I think I'm going to get a seasonal labourer job for the summer. It'll get me out in the fresh air, and I'll have plenty of exercise.

(Update, 15 hours later: I actually up and quit today. I really didn't need to go through that nonsense.)

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home