Monday, November 05, 2007

Highway Horrors

Okay, that was a little melodramatic, but something needs to be done.

There are far too many cars on the road, and not enough road to handle them. The thing is, we don't need more roads, we need less vehicles. I was driving around Friday and I came across three separate accidents, all of which looked like they could've been avoidable had the drivers been better drivers, and if there had been less congestion on the road. People think that a car is a right, but it's not even a privilege, it's a curse. The costs of vehicle ownership are absurdly expensive, but we just go about as if it's nothing.

We need better transit on a provincial scale in order to cut down on vehicles. We need transit that is an honest and desirable substitute for vehicle ownership. We need less vehicles on the road, and better drivers for the ones that are there.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 4:10 PM, Blogger morekitsch said...

Just come drive here in the Seattle area for ummm 5 minutes and you will come back to Ontario with a gleam in your eye and a desire to smile at all your fellow Canadian drivers.

trust me.

That and the visit would be fun ;)

...you really have no idea how bad driving is here. But I'll give you a hint: I stopped using blinkers before changing lanes because they freak out the drivers around here. If I want to change lanes I need to act like nothing it going on...maybe point at flying pigs to distract the other driver and the quickly --in mid-merge-- flip my blinker on to make sure I haven't totally forgotten how to drive. As for too many accident... man I wish we had that here. We don';t of course because we are too busy having traffic jams for *absolutely no reason* I'm not talking slwo downs I'm talking 15min of slow rolling only to fin out that there is nothing in the road and no mergers or exists to cause problems. See the driver here aren't crazy... they are passive to the point of idiocy. It's amazingly dangerous and totally unpredictable.

Anyway enjoy your fine courteous drivers :)

 
At 3:43 PM, Blogger Jason said...

Not that I don't agree with you, but you've added to my point. There are too many cars on the road, and most of them are being driven by people who have no business being behind the wheel of a videogame, let alone an actual car.

Here in Ontario, we're actually taking the cars away from the most irresponsible drivers, but we're not going far enough. They shouldn't be given back after a week, they should be destroyed.

Yeah, in recent times, I've come to the conclusion that modern humanity doesn't deserve the rights and privileges that were fought for by those in the past. We've squandered everything, and deserve the inevitable extinction of our race.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home