Sunday, June 03, 2007

The whole writing thing

I used to be a writer.

Well, technically, I still am but I've let it lapse.

A decade ago I did a fair bit of spec writing, seemingly* unsuccessful, but I was writing on a more or less regular and professional level. Like a lot of things in my life, it was a victim of the move back to Paris. I haven't been able to write since then, and I really can't figure out why. Part of my thinks it's fear, because those were some dark days for me, but another part of me thinks it's because I just can't get into that mindset anymore, due to my surroundings. Also, my bouts with depression probably have a big part in it, as well.

Suffice it to say, when I call myself a writer, I'm not just your typical 'midnight writer', as they're called. I've been trained, I tried the professional route, and I burned out somewhere along the line.

Anywho, I just read a review, on John Rogers blog, of a book on screenwriting by Jeff Kitchen and it's got me thinking: I should be reading up on the craft again if I think I should be doing this again. Lew Hunter's Screenwriting 434 got me through filmschool, and brought my marks up from a D to an A, which wasn't a small feat. Unfortunately, it's a book that I'll have to dig up again, as I lent it to friend's boyfriend who soon became her ex-boyfriend.

As the long time readers may know, all two of you, I tried to do a writer's blog that failed due to my inability to actually do anything creative with it. That was around a year ago, and I'm damned if I'm going to let this fall away like it did last year. Inevitably, it probably will, but not without a fight.

(*There's a story.)

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home